Relic rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relic rant

This might actually get better discussion on the relic boards, but I have to becareful what I say there and I can't cuss.

What in the fuck is going through their minds right now? It better not be something casual because they are on the brink with this community. On the relic forums there are lots of pissed off people who feel cheated and betrayed, ignored, led on, about the lack of Homeworld 2 info. AlexG came to irc, said he would give us information and we would all love it... he called it a "shwack" of info. He said he promised he could give it out in a months time. A months time comes around and everyone is expecting some HW2 info... Alex pops into irc and what do ya know? "HEY GUYS WHATS UP? (and before he could actually get an answer (as if he cared)) Sorry guys I can't give out any info. But on Friday I can give you a date to when I CAN give out info and I promise your ALL going to love it! See ya"

Ah, so he not only did not give us info like he said he was going to, he only gives us a date to when he can GIVE us a date to give out info. How fucking lame is that? I understand maybe he's in a situation thats pinching him but he sure doesn't act like it. Why doesn't he just say "Hey guys I'm really sorry but I'm in a very hard to explain situation right now and can't give out information.". Actually, fuck that too, hes gonna lose his loyal fanbase. He needs to say "Sorry guys, Seirra is ...." or "Sorry guys, I f'd up...." or something.

So anyways, Friday rolled around and he came back to irc, did his reading from a script routine and told us that he could definitely release the tons and tons of info he promised before, on the 12th of November or before. He said it would be info on 2 relic games that were PC based.

ALRIGHT! 2 PC GAMES!!!! THATS GOTTA MEAN SIGMA AND HW2 RIGHT?!@!@?!@???!!!! f'n a thats awesome!

Ok well everyone begins speculation and 2 decent ideas present themselves.

1- hes going to talk about hw2 and sigma. obviously 99% of the people around here care about hw2 so most believe this one.

2- hes going to talk about sigma and something else, something new. if you were smart you would have taken this approach cause your about to be let down again.

So here comes the 12th and everyones all hyper and shit, at least 80 ppl on #homeworld. AlexG pops in, says very little but links us to www.relic.com ... OMG A NEW LAYOUT. ok time for the hw2 info Alex... "Yea guys new website with sigma (impossible creatures) info and we are working on a new game called "NSP3" (next secret project 3)" ok time for the hw2 info alex... "Welp black suit ninja guys watching me again, see ya guys!@!@!#"

And everyone is sitting there like. wtf. uhm. wtf.

So we checked the relic site and yes its cool, yes it has a HW2 section that says "coming soon". I'm sorry but I place very little faith in that like some people do. The HW2 website has been up for almost a year now and it gave us a solid date, which never happened... It got changed to 2002.

Relic needs to seriously wake the fuck up and stop being so gdamn generic. They need to interact more with their fans (customers, loyal) and get more vocal on the forums, more vocal on irc. I hear about the golden days or yore when relic employees actually used to hang on irc, but no more. And when AlexG shows up does he actually talk to us? No, he reads from a script and its the most fake thing I've seen evar. Fireflight from Relic News left about a month ago, Uberjumped Relic News last night... who's next?

yea this is basically just a rant, but the summary is

Relic needs to lets its fanbase know whats up. Leak some info, talk to us without a script, fucking do something... before we leave.

ds

concur

Comment

I say...

just have fun with Homeworld and just forget about HW2 and all hearsay involving it.

Why get yer panties in a twist about something that just MIGHT exist?

Comment

well, as i recall, we had the same thing on the run up to the Cat launch. but really Frst, what do you expect? games are notoriously late with delays over lapping each other, as bugs r found and squashed and etc. and HW2? i dont know what you are hoping for in the prog. A new set of ships? a terrible foe? an improved senor screen? oops, thats Cat init?
        Reallisticlly (check the spelling!) i think Sierra should settle for an expansion pack, give us 3 or 4 sets of ships that we can pick from and use in the HW main game, after all, what properties of 3d space can they alter for a new prog?

DECUS ET TUTAMEN
        DECUS ET TUTAMEN

Comment

well, i don't really care if he said he'd give you info and didn't. the only point holding value is that he shoulda said he's sorry for not being able because blayadayadabla. so we might deduce he doesn't care about us. that sucks. but i can live without info. that's not the issue in my mind.

Comment

I DECLARE WAR ON SIERRA

wtf why can't we even have alittle info?!?! WHAT IS KEPING THEM FROM GIVING US SOMETHING?!?!?!?!? GFUYGFUYTUTF&^%I&KTGYITGKUYDGFUYTILUYHEOIYQ*&D*&TQ *YDIUHDKLJHAKGHDJGFAUYDKJAHGDKLDLSHKLJSHDLKJHDLIKS

I r lub choaocolate tehat are in my baed divorce the two wife is hard on bed tonight I bill aol which is 45$ and is hard for me. Plx plx halp me sombady i r chocalte and have divorxe mary 2 peple dat giv mariy me and kthxbi.

Comment

im not looking for info on the game like you guys think... im looking for a "dont worry guys, the game is not cancelled, you will get to play it I promise. its coming out in ect" type of info.

screw the screenshots and shit, i just want to know that its not ded.

Comment

Amen, frysky!

HOMEWORLD 2! HOMEWORLD 2! HOMEWORLD 2! you get the picture. homeworld 2 HAS to rock, while i WOULD like a little info. even one 1"x1" photo of a SCOUT! ok, im done whining. you go, frsktor13! (is that the right number?)

Bye all weirdos not including me

Comment

if the shoe fits...

alex's shoes are probably more than a bit uncomfortable right now. i'm glad i'm not in them...

i guess we could sit here and review the mistakes he made (ie: hyping up something that really didn't need it) or we could realize that to err is human and "game god" alex garden is indeed human.

call me an idealist, fatalist, optimist, stupidest - whatever. i really don't think dwelling on the negative is helpful in any way...

has anyone written mr. garden an email? is there a petition circulating to try and get him to change his personality? when do we get to boycott sierra?

Comment

Jay, hi and welcome to our forums.

K, so suppose we don't focus on the negative. For HW fans i don't see a lot of positive out there at the moment. And for relic fans,which assuredly we are, i see a lot to feel up-set about. we don't want a personality change. We would like some input from you guys, and some respect. Your taking the time to post here is a great step in the right direction.

For now i guess we'll have to hold onto this picture

ono they're coming for me. arrrrrrrrrgh i'm being repressed......

Comment

hi StonerD,

thanks for the welcome. i'm here as a HW fan, not relic employee though. i do not profess to speak on the company's behalf. all opinions and posts you see from me are strictly [imo].

i have not been given, nor asked for, the free reign to put words in relic's mouth. i'm just a fan of HW and as concerned about its' future as you are.

input and respect, eh? i certainly don't think that is too much for fans to ask from a dev studio under relevant/perfect circumstances. i may be an idealist, but i do know that we don't live in a perfect world. i don't think publishers and legal contracts exist in a perfect world...

Comment

Let me state this right now: I do not agree with what Alex did and I'm not making excuses for Relic. I'm just as upset as the rest of you are...

The fate of Homeworld2 might not rest in Alex's/Relic's hands, and they might be uncertain of it themselves. Why then Alex would hype it, I don't know, especially given the community reaction.

To blame Relic alone is unfair, though the blame is partially theirs. I've contacted Relic numerous times during all of this (it was my email that asked Alex to visit #homeworld one day that seems to have started recent series of dissapointments, and I appologise for that), and they've told me to talk to Sierra. As most of you know, Sierra has told other HW newsies and myself... nothing... in about 10 emails.

They now claim that there is no change in HW2's status, which as they last reported was the subject of discussions between Sierra and Relic.

Jayhawk: as we've seen in the past petitioning Sierra doesn't do much (to those of you who think the HWC ladder petition Uber, CJ and I organized did something, sorry, we all saw how it turned out), and Alex hasn't opened himself up for discussion, instead defering everyone who asks to Sierra. He seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place.

dmille
                        Homeworld Universe
                        Sigma/IC Center

Comment

i agree with frst. (and hi to jayhawk).

Nice to see some relic employees around the community in general, whether acting as gamers or as employees. Welcome aboard, and thanks for not carrying on like some corporate figureheads that come to mind. Back in the 'old days' of Homeworld, rupract (Shane Alfreds) was a regular in IRC, and AlexG's occasional appearances did not garner massive reams of publicity like they do now.

Alex needs to just e-mail the news sites. Then again, there is no news for him to e-mail. Hm. In any case, his IRC appearances need to not be pimped all over the news sites. In 'the good old days', he'd hop on unannounced, or rupract would let something slip, and then news would be posted. Not before. I realize the community has changed; prominent players and members are dropping out. The perfect game is getting old.

AHEM. I really don't have the time to rant like frst does, so I guess I'll stop.

Comment

this is a premptive post. i didn't even read jayhawks post yet because i dont want to be biased by her opinion before i give mine.

jayhawk my faith in relic just went up some, and it is only because of you. the fact that your even reading a forum besided the rb turns me on to relic, and the fact that your interacting is even better.

now, its not because you may or may not be a relic dev, its because your being human, as opposed to fake. i can't stand fake people irl and i can't stand them anywhere else. a lot of devs will freeze up and think they cannot show signs of being human to their companies followers or something it seems...

I would be in heaven if more humans from relic popped up... came to irc even? creepymo hung on irc... then got fired.. lol i accidentally put him on ignore for 3 months but thats beside the point. i loved it that he was there, even though i thought he was just watching.

wether you like it or not, or wether your a retard or a genius, people are going to look up to you because you work for relic. i think that reason is lame as hell. but you just gave them a real reason to look up to you, cause your cool. get it?

Comment

ono milly gave us a hit :P good to see u made it here, jay.

im not too fussed about waiting for hw2 & dont adhere to the "fuck sierra & damn relic" opinions floating about atm - but i do, however, think alex was a bit rude the other day on irc.

he knows how fanatical everyone is and how they were all expecting him to say something. to log on, and then chat to someone on the phone while there were 80+ ppl waiting for him to speak and then say next to nix and leave was pretty poor form, in anyone's language. but like jay says, we cant petition for a personality transplant - thats just alex, i guess.

the reverence to which everyone has held relic over the past few years has dissolved somewhat over the past few months, but i guess the "fanboys" take a distant second to sensitive contractual negotiations or whatever is keeping all this info from us. we are just a small part of the homeworld community and 99% of ppl who bought this game dont hang on irc or the forums.

i suppose all is forgiven if relic release a brilliant game, and all is sour if it gets cancelled. i also suppose alex is working his ass off to make the former into a reality. i also suppose its difficult and sensitive. i also suppose he feels the pressure & doesnt always know the best way to handle it. i guess hes also human.

in the end, it would be good if we get to play this computer game and will be a disappointment, but not terminal, if we dont.

fu all.

Comment

Working...
                              X